Pineapple upside down cheesecake
Apologies for not being here in such a long time. I would be lying if I told you it was because I have been busy baking. Truth is I forgot my password. I know I can reset it, but I knew I would remember it eventually!
Anyway, here is my recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cheesecake. Credit to the delicious website from where I saw it first. I tried to make it, but the ingredients were measured in Cups (I try not to bake that way) and required “yellow cake mix”…. I mean, what the hell IS that?!
Sooooo, here is the recipe, from scratch.
Tag me into your bakes.
FOR THE TOPPING
60g unsalted butter
100g packed brown sugar
approx. 500g can pineapple rings (tip, use juice to make
yourself a Pina Colada)
Stoned glace cherries
FOR THE CAKE
A little butter to grease cake tins
250g Baking Fat (Stork or similar- make sure it’s cold)
250g Caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
250g Self raising flour
FOR THE CHEESECAKE
600g cream cheese, softened
250g caster sugar
3 large eggs
100ml sour cream
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
PREP TIME: 0:30
TOTAL TIME: 4:30
1. Preheat oven to 160C°
2. Grease and line an 8” spring form pan with butter. In another 8” cake pan, melt butter in the oven. Add brown sugar to the bottom of the round cake pan. Spread mixture to the edges, then add 5 pineapple rings. Place cherries inside and in between pineapple slices.
3. Make cake: In a large bowl, combine whisk baking fat and sugar until pale and fluffy. Next whisk in egg yolks until smooth, then whisk in the egg whites (doesn’t split if you do it this way. Sift in the flour and fold in until fully mixed.
4. Pour about half of the mixture over the pineapples inthe regular cake pan. Pour the remaining half into a lined spring form pan. Bake until the cakes are starting to turn golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
Allow to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make cheesecake layer. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until light andfluffy. Add sugar and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the sour cream, vanilla and salt and mix until smooth.
6. Once the Cake layers are completely cool, pour cheesecake layer over the baked cake in the spring form pan.
7. Wrap the bottom of the spring form pan in foil. Pour cream cheese batter onto cooled cake and bake until cheesecake is slightly jiggly in the center, 1 hour 10 minutes.
(Cheesecakes tend to crack if you don’t use a water bath. If you don’t want to use one, bake as directed. If you do want to use a water bath, double wrap the outside of the pan in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish. Place on oven rack and pour in enough boiling water to reach halfway up the pan. Bake as directed.)
8. Place cheesecake on a serving plate and top with pineapple upside down cake. Slice and serve.
HINTS AND TIPS: